Crime Stoppers NT shares tips for shopping safely
Seasonal shopping can make you a potential target for thieves, so a few simple precautions can keep you safe.
Shopping is normally bad enough, but social distancing and uncertainty over changing restrictions adds a new layer of complexity when battling the Christmas crowds. Seasonal shopping can also make you a potential target for thieves, so consider a few simple precautions:
In the shops:
- Don’t leave shopping to the last-minute rush.
- Only carry essential identification or valuables and make sure they are secure.
- Make sure your bag is closed, held in front of you where possible and never left unattended.
- Pay attention to your surroundings and if someone bumps into you then immediately check your valuables.
- When making a transaction using your card, never let it out of your sight and be wary about who is nearby when entering your PIN.
- Pay attention to who is around you and report any suspicious activity.
In the car park:
- Always park in a safe location with good lighting and people around.
- Make sure all doors and windows on your vehicle are secure.
- Remove all valuables where possible or put things out of sight – including any coins.
- Be aware of your surroundings and report any suspicious activity.
- Don’t leave GPS systems or mobile phone hands-free accessories on display.